Peace for your Path...

"peace. it does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. it means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart." (unknown) http://www.labyrinthwellness.com

Monday, June 7, 2010

my silent heron herald returns


A couple of winters ago, I wrote a little poem about a Great Blue Heron to tuck into our Christmas cards. They are always visiting the pond behind our house, yet I never tire of watching them soar in for their graceful, delicate landings. Each time I am blessed to witness one of these giant, magnificent birds in flight, I am left breathless by their Beauty.

On Sunday morning, I ventured outside to the lanai with my Bible and coffee in hand, but I was feeling a great heaviness in my soul for a number of reasons. I saw this Great Blue Heron sitting very close to our screen, and I quietly crept closer for a look. Lily, our yellow lab, was right at my side so I was fairly shocked when the Heron did not fly off but rather sat perfectly still staring sideways at us with one of its giant eyes. Lily stared back yet never barked once. The three of us stood there for several more minutes until Lily eventually became bored and returned to her perch on "her" chaise lounge to finish chewing her bone.

I remained there for several more minutes, utterly transfixed by the Heron's beauty. The sun was just beginning to reflect off the pond when suddenly there was a small yet unmistakable flash of brilliant light. The early morning sun was reflecting off the Heron's graceful neck even more brightly than it was shining off the water! It was truly lovely....

I tiptoed back to fetch my cell phone, hating to disrupt the moment but desperately wanting a picture to share with all of you. It was difficult to take it through our screening, but doing so resulted in this lovely, glowing aura around the Heron. I hope you enjoy it, too.

Peace for your Path,
Robin

No comments: