Peace for your Path...

"peace. it does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. it means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart." (unknown) http://www.labyrinthwellness.com

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"and an ocean tumbled by with a private boat...."



...."for Max (or me, or you, or whoever) and he sailed off through night and day and in and out of weeks and almost over a year to where the wild things are."
- Maurice Sendak from WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE (with my own emphasis added)
A couple of weekends ago I had the blessing of accompanying my son and my husband on a church youth group camping trip to Peanut Island. I do not camp. When I learned, however, that most all the other moms were going to be roughing it, I became a very last minute, wary and somewhat reluctant, tag-a-long.

I was sitting alone on the beach contemplating sleeping outside in 90 degree Florida heat when I first saw this little boat sail past in the distance. I had no idea at the time that anyone from our church group owned it or even dreamed that they had built it completely by hand!

Immediately, I was struck with an incredible sense of peace and tranquility. On that crowded beach which was teaming with boaters, snorkelers and swimmers, the sight of the miniature boat felt timeless, authentic - sacred. The noisy world around me fell completely and inexplicably silent.

This little vessel continues to sail the spaces of my heart almost daily now, carrying me to visit my own Wild Things and then thankfully "back over a year and in and out of weeks and through a day and into the night of (my) very own room...."

My prayer is that your private boat will soon sail into the harbor of your heart, too.

Peace for your Path.

No comments: